We will answer your questions about what an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) is for British Expats
– What is an Individual Tax Identification Number?
– What is the ITIN used for?
– What US US benefits do I receive for having an ITIN?
– What is the difference between a Social Security Number (SSN) and the ITN?
– How do you apply for an ITIN?
– Where can I find my ITIN once I have one?
What is an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN)?
An ITIN is similar to the UK equivalent of a Unique Tax Reference (UTR) code from HMRC. An ITIN is unique to the individual in question. An ITIN is a nine-digit code and once obtained it must be kept safe to prevent any risks of fraud.
What is the ITIN used for?
An ITIN is used for British Expats to submit a 1040 tax return to the IRS in the united states. You will need to submit a 1040 tax return to the IRS as a British citizen if:
– You have taxable income in the US irrespective if you live there or not
– You are a resident alien (reside in the US for more than 183 calculated days)
– You are married to an American citizen and it makes sense from a tax perspective for you to submit a 1040 return to the IRS
Please note that you need to use the ITIN to submit tax returns. The ITIN number may be revoked by the IRS after three years if not used. If your ITIN has expired you will need to reapply.
What US US benefits do I receive for having an ITIN?
There are no real benefits for you to have an ITIN. British people obtaining a ITIN must not be confused with it being connected to a VISA. There are many different types of VISAs that allow British citizens to visit and stay in the US. We will not get too bogged down in the detail.
Please review the VISAs section under the American Embassy website. if you wish to know more about VISAs and having the ability to visit or live int he US as a British expat.
Let me please explain that having an ITIN does not provide you with the following benefits as American Citizens:
– You will not be allowed to stay in the United States just because you have an ITIN
– You will not be able to work in the United States just because you have an ITIN
– You will not be able to own a business without other supporting documentation
What is the difference between a Social Security Number (SSN) and the ITN?
A Social Security Number (SSN) is a number given to US citizens and green cardholders. This allows SSN holders to live, work and have the full enjoyment of being in the United States of America. People with a SSN may also vote.
British expats may be able to obtain an SSN with the appropriate VISA, which there are many.
As mentioned above that the ITIN does not provide you with any of these benefits. You may exchange the ITIN with the SSN through the appropriate VISA application.
How do you apply for an ITIN?
You may apply for an ITIN through the W-7 application for IRS Taxpayer identification number form. The IRS W-7 form may be submitted to the IRS via
– Purser Tax as we have a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or a Certifying Acceptance Agent (CAA) in our company
– You can go into an IRS office and meet with the officials with the said application form
– By post (you will need to send your original IDs such as passports and drivers licence)
Internal Revenue Service
P.O. Box 149342
Austin, TX 78714-9342
Where can I find my ITIN once I have one?
You can find your 9 digit ITIN on all correspondence that you have with the IRS. If you do not have any paperwork from the IRS then you may be able to contact the local IRS office.